FOR PRINT AND WEB PUBLICATIONS
Our advertising policy is consistent with the principles mentioned in the Recommendations on Publication Ethics Policies for Medical Journals which issued by the World Association of Medical Editors (WAME).
1. The STDJ has the right to refuse any advertisement that, in its sole discretion, is incompatible with its mission or inconsistent with the values of members, the publication/web site or the organization as a whole, and to stop accepting any advertisement previously accepted. Ads are subject to review by the editor and others at the STDJ. In no case shall separate agreements with the STDJ or its subsidiaries supersede this policy.
2. Advertising for the following categories is prohibited:
- Weapons, firearms, ammunition
- Gambling and lottery
- Pornography or related themes
- Political and religious advertisements
- Advertisements that claim to have a “miracle” cure or method
- Advertisements that make unsubstantiated health claims for the products advertised
- Advertisements directed at children
3. Advertisements new to STDJ may require pre-approval before they can appear. Refer to the individual publication ad policies or call your advertising representative for more information.
4. Advertisers may be required to submit supporting documentation to substantiate claims. For products not regulated by the FDA or other government agency, technical and/or scientific documentation may be required.
5. Ads for products not approved by the FDA that make any kind of health claims must carry the following disclaimer: “These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”
6. While the STDJ welcomes and encourages information-rich advertising, advertisements, advertising icons and advertiser logos must be clearly distinguishable from editorial content and may require special labeling to distinguish them as such.
7. In STDJ professional (physician-directed) publications and web sites, the intentional placement of advertising adjacent to articles discussing the company or product that is the subject of the ad is prohibited.
8. Advertisements may not imply endorsement by the STDJ or its publications/web sites except as may be provided for under a separate agreement—in which case advertising must be pre-approved to ensure adherence to the letter and spirit of that separate agreement.
9. The full rules for any market research or promotion associated with an advertisement must be displayed in the ad or available via a prominent link.
10. The following online advertising formats are prohibited:
- Pop-ups and floating ads.
- Advertisements that collect personally identifiable information from visitors without their knowledge or permission.
- Ads that extend across or down the page without the visitor having clicked or rolled-over the ad.
- Ads that send visitors to another site without the visitor having clicked the ad.
STDJ’s published advertising policies are not exhaustive and are subject to change at any time without notice.